What you will learn
Participants will use simple worksheets in conjunction with detailed design procedures to quickly select equipment, size ducts and specify installation and control details necessary to design ventilation systems. All content complies with Section 9.32 of the NBC/OBC/BCBC. Participants will also clearly understand when the circumstances fall outside the scope of 9.32, which will require the use of a more comprehensive standard such as CAN/CSA F326-M1991 (R2014).
Prior to attending this course, attendees are required to register for and successfully complete an online module, "Online Basic Principles of Residential Ventilation". Please add this course to your shopping cart prior to check out.
- Describe the scope and limitations of designing a ventilation system under 9.32 of the NBC/OBC/BCBC
- List which rooms require fresh air and exhaust inlets
- Determine the required ventilation and exhaust capacity
- Describe the distribution requirements
- Identify when make-up air systems are required (does not apply to OBC)
- Select ventilation equipment to meet the requirements of the NBC/OBC/BCBC
- Size ducting according to the NBC/OBC/BCBC and understand when ducts have to be sized using standards outside of the NBC/OBC/BCBC
- Describe the controls required under the NBC/OBC/BCBC
- Certification as a designer, which is recognized by many jurisdictions
For the Individual
- A better understanding of the NBC/OBC/BCBC will allow for knowledgeable decisions regarding equipment selection and duct sizing
- Certification will give you the confidence to respond to issues in the field
- Designers will be able to optimize system components and sizing while ensuring code compliance
Note: If you currently hold a Residential Mechanical Ventilation Installation certification from HRAI, you are not required to complete the Online Basic Principles of Residential Ventilation course.
Test Your Knowledge - You may be eligible for a 10% discount by taking the test. Discount cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotion.
Test Your Knowledge (Ontario)
Test Your Knowledge (National)
HRAI is an approved education provider with BC Housing – Licensing and Consumer Services.
DOWNLOAD WHITE PAPER