Find a Qualified Contractor for Furnace & A/C Maintenance
The purchase or repair of a heating, cooling or ventilation system is a major investment and, because of the direct impact on our daily comfort, this type of home upgrade or maintenance deserves careful consideration, research and expertise.
CLICK HERE TO FIND A QUALIFIED CONTRACTOR
More often than not, homeowners do not distinguish one contractor from another on anything but price. Due to safety concerns, as well as the increased costs of heating or cooling a home without the proper equipment, the lowest price is not always the best value.
To maximize your comfort, safety and peace of mind, and to minimize your operating costs down the road, be sure to deal only with qualified, professional contractors. So how can you be sure a contractor is qualified?
There are some obvious red flags to look for when shopping for a contractor. Qualified contractors, for example:
- will not quote prices over the phone without first assessing your job on-site;
- will not request large cash advances prior to the delivery of any equipment or materials’
- will readily provide a full business address as well as a telephone number where the company can be reached;
- will be happy to offer the names and addresses of customers they have done work for in your area.
Your own due diligence is important to locating a qualified contractor. Prior to calling for a quote, research the contractors in your area by:
Member contractors will mention and display the HRAI logo:
- when visiting each contractor’s website for a review of their services and the equipment they offer;
- to make sure the contractors you deal with are properly licensed and insured to do the work that they do;
- when speaking with the contractor’s previous clients.
HRAI requires its contractor members to carry relevant trade, fuel safety and applicable licenses as well as worker’s compensation and liability insurance. You may be surprised to learn that many contractors simply don’t bother with licensing or insurance. They may pass on lower costs to you up front, but you could end up paying much more over time, not only financially, but in terms of your family’s comfort, health, safety and peace of mind.
To find a qualified contractor, visit the HRAI Contractor Locator or call the hotline at 1-877-467-4724
You might also like these articles on:
Before Turning Your Heat On, Schedule a Check Up
5 Steps to Get Your Heating System Ready for Winter
Gas Fireplaces Need Maintenance Too?
Back to Consumer Tips