The Smart Solution to Heating and Cooling Your Home: Going Wireless
Ever been stuck at a business meeting, only to be roped into a dinner that lasted late into the night? And all the while, your furnace was running and heating your empty home?
If your life doesn’t always follow the timetable you punched into your programmable thermostat – and let’s face it, whose does? – it might be time to consider a remote option.
Like a scene out of a Star Trek episode, ‘smart control’ systems allow homeowners to control their home’s heating and air conditioning system remotely off a smart phone, iPad, handheld device or computer. In short, they allow homeowners to set the temperature of their residence on an as-needed basis, 24/7.
While they may not be useful for everyone, they are a boon to single homeowners who travel extensively and have unpredictable schedules, or Canadian families with cottages up north or winter residences down south.
Accessed via a secure web portal or through downloadable apps, these systems can significantly trim utility bills by providing an easy and manageable solution to each homeowner’s heating and cooling needs. One smart control manufacturer estimates an average of 24 per cent savings on heating and 21 per cent on cooling energy costs.
There are a variety of smart controls on the market – from basic models to sophisticated options that interface with multiple systems in a home. Sophisticated systems send alerts, service reminders, and even warnings when things are not running smoothly. They tell homeowners when they need to replace their furnace filter, let them know of a change in static air pressure or, worst-case scenario, when their furnace stops working altogether.
Some systems even provide in-depth analysis on a home’s heating and cooling consumption and performance. Online reports outline everything from the number of hours a heating or cooling system is running to how much money is being saved, in any given period.
To speak to a qualified contractor for more information on smart control options that are available, visit HRAI’s contractor locator at www.hrai.ca/contractorlocator.php.
More Consumer Tips and Information
- Carbon Monoxide - What you need to know
- Think Carefully Before Buying a Water Heater at the Door
- Before you buy, consider the "heart & lungs" of your new home
- Maintaining your heating system is good for you - and it's the law
- Moving Away from HCFC Refrigerants - The HCFC Refrigerant Phaseout
- Some Jobs Are Best Left to the Experts
- Don't Let New Home Love Affair Blind You to the Basics
- Homeowners and Business Owners with Flood-Damanged Heating and Cooling Equipment
- The Hard Sell: Regular Maintenance on Your Heating and Cooling Systems
- The Smart Solution to Heating and Cooling Your Home: Going Wireless
- Looking Beyond Price When Choosing a Contractor for Your Heating and Cooling Needs
- Knock knock. Beware. Why door-to-door sales are not for HVAC equipment
- Heat and Cool Your Home from the Earth
- A Clean Home is Cheaper to Run
- A Clean Furnace System is at the Heart of a Healthy Home
- It's time for your annual check-up
- Keeping Canada clean: Industry-led program safely disposes of harmful chemicals
- Eliminate, Ventilate, Filter...
- Consumer's Guide to Heat Pumps
- What you need to know about indoor air quality and ventilation
- Improving the Air in Your Home
- Energy Star - HVAC EnerGuide
- Think the Air in Your Home is Fresh? Think again, Think HRV
- More than One Solution to Humidity
- The Air You Breathe: Optimizing Indoor Air Quality
- Guide to Heating Options
- Guide to FIreplaces
- Find a Reputable Contractor for Furnace Maintenance
- It's Time for Your Annual Check-Up
- Make Sure Your Home Heating Does Not Go to Waste
- When It Comes to Heating and Cooling Systems, Size Matters
- Commercial HVAC Systems and the Importance of Regular Maintenance
- Optimize Your Air Conditioning System
- Choosing the Right Air Conditioner for Your Home
- Four spring cleaning tips to save money on energy
- Zoning Technology Cools the House More Efficiently
- Keep Cool Without Losing Your Cool (household air conditioner noise)
- Replacing Your Central Air Conditioning or Heat Pump System -- Choosing a properly-matched system
- Choose the Right Size of Air Conditioner, Furnace, Heat Pump or Boiler to fit your home
- Keeping Cool, Staying Cool: A Primer on AC Maintenance
- Refrigerants, New Regulations, and What You Need to Know
Have a question or concern that is not addressed here? Contact HRAI directly.