General Manager / President
The industry association representing manufacturers, wholesalers, and contractors in the Canadian heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration (HVACR) industries is seeking a collaborative, forward-thinking, and service-oriented leader for the role of General Manager. This exciting opportunity will be ideal for an individual seeking to enrich an association’s success and effectively engage members and other stakeholders in its valuable work.
The Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Institute of Canada (HRAI) has been highly successful over the past 50 years as the single voice of the industry to government and other audiences; in providing education, training and certification to meet technical standards and to further career development; by managing environmentally-sound, end of life programs for products; and delivering valued services to the industry from research to affinity programs.
The General Manager will be trained over several months to prepare to succeed the incumbent association President when he retires in June 2018. Knowledge of association leadership, experience with government advocacy, evidence of solid business acumen, and an understanding of technological change summarize the position profile. Experience in the industry will be helpful. The position requires an individual who excels at engaging people effectively and actively.
HRAI is a matrix organization with distinct, and common, member-needs to be met across and within sectors, with equal emphasis, and in all regions of Canada. Growth is central to the mandate with the expectation that HRAI’s value, influence, profile, and base will continue to be strengthened. The industry is also being driven by shifts in energy usage and environmental policy with members looking to the association for understanding of how public policy and products are evolving.
Position Requirements – Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrated experience managing issues in a membership organization, and working collaboratively with a board of directors.
- Substantial knowledge of legislative and regulatory processes in a technical environment.
- Demonstrated aptitude for advocacy and building collaborative relationships with governments and allied organizations to create alignment on industry matters.
- Business acumen with respect to finance, planning, and oversight of all aspects of an organization’s people and operations.
- Supervisory management experience, including objectivesetting, with an empowering approach to human resources and entrusting a professional staff complement over 25+ to carry out assigned work.
- Experience growing an organization – its value and revenue.
- Knowledge of the HVACR industry preferable but not essential.
Position Requirements – Skills and Abilities
- Superior presentation and communication skills (verbal, written, listening).
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, earning trust and successfully managing key stakeholder relationships.
- Effective leadership and management skills with a focus on outcomes, staff empowerment, and the development of others.
- Highly collaborative while also decisive.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively build positions on key issues and advocate for results.
- Capacity to identify emerging issues and trends, and their implications.
- Sales-marketing experience to drive growth and build relevance.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, with solid negotiation and consensus-building skills.
- Adept at listening to discern member needs and identify how best to meet them.
Additional Candidate Attributes
- Open to new opportunities, approaches and ideas; adaptable and nimble
- Professional with a high degree of integrity
- Passionate and positive
- Comprehends complexity
- Curious with a near-insatiable interest in learning
- Inspiring and confident
- As a national organization, fluency in the two official languages will be helpful but it is not a requirement
Qualified individuals are invited to apply in confidence to –
The Portage Group – Attn. Jack Shand, FCMC, CAE
**Please refrain from contacting HRAI directly**
Please include a résumé and cover letter with a statement of salary expectations.
5925 Airport Road, Suite 200, Mississauga, ON L4V 1W1 • Attn: Jack Shand, FCMC, CAE, Executive Partner • Tel: (905) 842-3845 • Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by early November.
For more information about the organization, please visit www.hrai.ca
For more information about The Portage Group Inc., please visit www.portagegroup.com